May 25, 2021

Passport Application 101: Requirements to Get a Philippine Passport

  • HOME
  • Tips & Guides
  • Passport Application 101: Requirements to Get a Philippine Passport
  • Updated as of May 25, 2021
    First Published on Sep 28, 2018 

    These days, traveling is easier than ever before. Social media helped generate the buzz and now, there are a lot of people who have placed traveling in their bucket lists. Of course, to meet their travel goals, a valid passport is usually needed. So how does a Filipino citizen apply for a passport?


    Contrary to what others say, it really isn’t difficult to understand what the requirements are when applying for a passport:

    Passport application infographic/IMAGE Department of Foreign Affairs Facebook page

    1. Anyone applying for a passport not qualified to use the courtesy lane must have a confirmed appointment slot which you can set here.
    2. An accomplished application form which you can find here.
    3. Applicant must personally appear at the DFA office of their choice on the date and time of their appointment.
    4. Applicant must have an ORIGINAL copy of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) Birth Certificate on Security Paper.
    • For married females using their spouse’s last name, an ORIGINAL copy of the PSA Authenticated Marriage Contract on Security Paper or Report on Marriage is also needed.
    1. Any of the accepted valid IDs plus ONE PHOTOCOPY.

    Also read: DFA Satellite Offices in Metro Manila


    The four requirements are usually all that’s needed when applying for a passport but there are cases when supporting documents are needed.


    1. If the Birth Certificate was registered 10 years ago, it will be treated as a regular application and no additional supporting documents are needed.
    2. If the Birth Certificate was registered less than 10 years ago, the applicant must submit IDs that PRE-DATE the late registration.
    3. Should the applicant have no IDs that pre-date the late registration, applicant must produce CURRENT IDs AND a National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance.

    Only the following can apply for a passport without an appointment/IMAGE Department of Foreign Affairs Facebook page


    Also read: DFA Accommodates More Applicants with ‘Passport On Wheels’

    1. If the applicant was born AFTER 1950, they have to file for late registration with the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) or Consular Office that has jurisdiction over their birthplace. Proceed as above.
    2. If the applicant was born ON OR BEFORE 1950, the applicant must submit ORIGINAL copies of PSA Authenticated Certificate of No Birth Record AND Affidavit of TWO Disinterested Persons attesting to the applicant’s identity.


    1. Submit the ORIGINAL copy of Annotated PSA Marriage Certificate (MC) or Report of Marriage (ROM) stating that the marriage has been dissolved
    2. If annotated MC or ROM from PSA is not yet available, the applicant must submit a Certified True Copy of the Court Order dissolving the marriage AND a certificate of Finality from the court.

    Also read: DFA removes travel agencies’ reserved slots for passport appointments


    1. Submit proof of filing supplemental report or correction from the Local Civil Registrar.


    1. If the discrepancy is in the Birth Certificate, the applicant must submit annotated birth certificate authenticated by PSA reflecting the corrected entry. If the discrepant data is in the other documents, the birth certificate will be followed.
    2. Discrepancy in First Name – Applicant should submit a COPY of the petition and supporting documents for correction of the first name filed with the Local Civil Registrar or consulate.
    3. Discrepancy in other data – Applicant must submit annotated birth certificate authenticated by PSA reflecting the corrected entry.

    Applying for a Philippine Passport, In 8 East Steps!

    The DFA has rolled out its passport ePayment system nationwide.Watch this video to learn how to apply for a Philippine passport—from booking an appointment via ePayment, to passport releasing.(Questions on our passport service? This might help:

    Department of Foreign Affairs, Republic of the Philippinesさんの投稿 2018年7月31日火曜日


    1. ORIGINAL PSA authenticated Birth Certificate/Report of Birth AND ORIGINAL Identification Certificate issued by the Philippine Foreign Service Post (FSP) OR the Bureau of Immigration (BI) AND a photocopy.
    2. Government-issued IDs (Philippine or from the country of second citizenship)


    1. Identification Certificate of Naturalization from BI


    1. Affidavit of Election of Philippine Citizenship
    2. Identification Certificate of Election from BI


    1. Certified True Copy of the law granting citizenship
    2. Foreign Birth Certificate authenticated by Philippine FSP

    Reminder to everyone applying for a passport/IMAGE Department of Foreign Affairs Facebook page


    Since the proposal for a national ID has only been approved recently, accepted IDs vary from one agency to the next. The Department of Foreign Affairs only accepts the following valid IDs:

    1. Social Security System (SSS)/ Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) Unified Multi-Purpose Identification (UMID) Card
    2. Land Transportation Office (LTO) Driver’s License. Student Permits may be accepted if in card format
    3. Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) ID
    4. Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)/ Integrated Department of Labor and Employment (iDOLE) Card
    5. Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Voter’s ID or Voter’s Certification from the Officer of Election with Dry Seal
    6. Philippine National Police (PNP) Firearms License
    7. Senior Citizen ID
    8. School ID (if applicable)
    9. Valid ePassport (for renewal)
    10. Residence Card (for applicants overseas)

    List of Valid IDs/IMAGE Department of Foreign Affairs Facebook page

    NOTE: The Department may ask to see additional supporting documents as may be necessary.


    Passport processing fees for both new applications and renewal are as follows:

    • Regular Processing – Php 950
    • Expedited Processing – Php 1,200
    • Penalty for lost and mutilated passports – Php 350.00

    Applications made at the Consular Offices in Metro Manila, processing and releasing of passports take 12 working days for regular processing and 6 working days for expedited processing. Applications made outside Metro Manila, processing and releasing of passports take 12 working days for regular processing and 7 working days for expedited processing. For all Philippine Foreign Service Posts, processing and releasing of passports take around 4-6 weeks.

    New DFA passport releasing period beginning October 1, 2018/IMAGE Department of Foreign Affairs Facebook page

    The above timetables do not include courier delivery.

    Validity of E-Passport

    Based on the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), e-Passports have an embedded electronic chip in the passport booklet that saves the biographical information on the second page of the passport.

    In line with this, the Department of Foreign Affairs recently announced that extension of e-Passport validity is no longer allowed as of October 2019, in compliance with the standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization. DFA advised that travelers must renew their passports at least one year before the expiry date.

    Source: Department of Foreign Affairs, DFA Frequently Asked Questions

    Recent Comments

    Hello po,mgkakaproblem po ba if yung birth certificate ko eh wlang surname ng father,pero eversince yun n ginagamit ko sa lahat ng records ko,lately n lng kasi sila ngpakasal and wala na din father ko.Married po ako,pwede bang yung marriage contract n lng maging basis dun sa passport?Sana my mkasagot,slamat po.

    2 months ago

    Good day , may tanong po ako , nag renew po kc ako ng passport ko tapos nung nag appearance po ako saka ko lang nalaman na mali pala yong birth place ko D ko po napansin yon kc mag ka parehas po kc San Carlos City , Kya D ko napansin na mali pala dapat San Carlos City NEG OCC pero ang nasa passport ko po is San Carlos City PGN which is Pangasinan pla yan tas nung gusto ko pong e pa bago hiningian po ako ng negative of Record galing sa pangasinan.. e D naman po ako taga roon Kya po no choice ako pina tuloy ko nalang po kung ano yong nasa old passport ko po .. so ngayon po yan po ang sumasagabal sa isipan ko .. ano po ang dapat kung gawin ? Sana po matulungan niyo ako sa concern ko .. salamat po

    6 months ago

    Ano pa po ba yung mga additional requirements of late registration in birth certificate.. Thank you!

    12 months ago

    Panu po kung Mali ung gender na na ilagay sa mismong passport ko? Magagamit ko po ba for travel or kailangan kong e renew?

    one year ago

    Question lang po, Hindi po ako maapproved sa DFA dahil ang Birthplace ko na nasa nso/psa ay Fort Bonifacio Makati City. (Wc is taguig ngayon) pinapunta po ako ng dfa sa makati city hall to get suplemental report para dun pero iba ang process na pinapagawa ng makati. Necessary po ba to get that report kung given na during dob ang fort ay under ng makati?

    2 years ago

    Paano Po Yung process if late registered ung PSA tpos Po Yung firstname ei ngkaron ng typo error.
    Anu Po mga requirements na kailngan pra mka kuha mg passport?
    Thank u Po s responded.

    2 years ago

    paano po kung gender error… na file na for correction pero hindi pa na change sq PSA at kailangan na magkuha ng passport… pwede po ba affidavit?

    2 years ago

    Paano po kung wla birth certificate not registered pa s PSA
    NBI at TIN id lang po meron..

    2 years ago

    paano po pag walang id? pero meron namang birth certificate, marriage certificate, nbi clearance, old college id at philhealth card lang? tinatanggap po ba yon?

    2 years ago

    Ano po ang dapat gawin sa pag apply ng phillipine passport kapag ung gender sa birthcert ay mali..ano pa po ang pwedeng maging requirements po..salamat sa concern

    2 years ago

    Ano po ang pwedeng gawin kung mali ang gender at date of birth para maka pag apply ng philippine passport at ano po ang document n pwedeng gamitin

    2 years ago

    Paano po pag ang ang bata ay late registered at wla pang PSA na gustong kumuha ng passport?

    2 years ago

    ano po bang pwedeng gawin kung yung surname ay mali ng isang letra ? and 6months pa po bago maayos ang birth certificate? sabi nila tinatanggap niyo daw po yung galing city hall na para may maipresent na document? thank you

    2 years ago

    Kailangan ba talaga na mayroon kang Identification Certificate of Naturalization from BI kasi wala kaming ganoon eh atsaka kapag nagpagawa ka naman mahal rin aabot siya sa higit kumulang na mga Php12,000.00 eh

    3 years ago

    Philippine Passport Act (RA 8239 Sec.17) An applicant who is illiterate, physically disabled or a senior citizen may be assisted by a relative within the fourth civil degree of consanguinity or affinity by anyone belonging to the same household.

    Pwede po cyang tulungan ng kamag-anak sa pag apply online at sa appointment nya sa DFA office.

    3 years ago

    Paano po yung hindi marunong bumasa at sumulat
    Paano po s’ya mag apply for pasaporte.?

    3 years ago

    Hi po postal id po ba fwdng gamitin pag kuha ng passport

    3 years ago
    What do you think about this article?
    ★★ ★★★ ★★★★ ★★★★★


    You might also like...
    DOLE Allows Alien Work Permit Request via PH-based Employers
    September 08, 2021
    GUIDE: What To Prepare And Do If You Ever Get Sick Abroad
    June 26, 2021
    LIST: Hotlines You Can Contact in Case of Emergencies
    June 21, 2021
    LIST: 8 Real Estate Websites and Apps You Can Rely On in the Philippines
    June 19, 2021
    GUIDE: Hospitals Accepting Foreign COVID-19 Patients in Metro Manila
    June 17, 2021