January 31, 2016

Visas and Residence Report

  • HOME
  • Tips & Guides
  • Visas and Residence Report
  • Visa

    As a foreigner, it is important that you should learn about a Visa. A Visa depends in every country, but in the Philippines, here are some of the things that you should know about.

    The visa policy of the Philippines is in accordance with the Commonwealth Act No. 613, known as the Philippine Immigration Act, and by succeeding legislation that amends it. The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Bureau of Immigration (BI) are the two agencies that implement this policy but visas are issued solely through BI.

    Normally, foreign nationals who wish to enter the Philippines require a visa except if the individual is:

    • a citizen of a member state of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN);

    • a citizen of a country whose nationals are allowed to enter the Philippines without visa; or

    • is a balikbayan and is only returning to the Philippines for (1) year and for tourism purposes only.

    For your reference, here are some types of Philippine VISA:

    Tourists Visa (For pleasure or business)

    Upon arrival at the airport, a 30-day visa will be issued. Tourist visa can be extended in a maximum of 3 years. Furthermore, you cannot work or apply at any job.

    Student Visa (SSP)

    A Student Visa is issued to foreign students aged 18 years old and above that takes a course higher than high school. For foreign students aged 17 years and below, a Special Study Permit (SSP)  is being issued. It is important to note that the SSP is just a permit and not a Visa. This is issued under the Temporary Visitor’s Visa of a foreign national. 

    You should also know that only the select accredited schools by the BI shall accept and enroll foreign nationals.

    Philippines Special Resident Retiree Visa (SRRV)

    Retirement Visa is what you need to live permanently in the Philippines. Foreigners aged 35 years old and above are qualified for this visa. Upon obtaining this visa, you can also be accompanied by any member of your family under the age of 21.

    Work Visa

    Once you submit the required documents to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), you will get a Foreign Workers Registration Certificate.  Having a company to recruit you here in the Philippines doesn’t automatically mean that you will have a work Visa. It has comprehensive criteria that you need to follow. The embassy needs to know the title and scale business content of the company, employment plan, the company, and also if you have a proper educational background or work experience.

    For updates, requirements, and more detailed information, please click on the following links:

    General Visa information: Department of Foreign Affairs website

    Work  and Student Visa: Bureau of Immigration website

    SRRV: Philippine Retirement Authority website


    Source: Wikipedia

    Recent Comments
    What do you think about this article?
    ★★ ★★★ ★★★★ ★★★★★


    You might also like...
    What to Expect at Filipino Parties
    October 19, 2018
    Flower-Giving in the Philippines: Explaining the PH Culture and Tradition
    October 16, 2018
    Lotto Culture in PH: Explaining the Craze
    October 12, 2018
    Travel Hacks You Should Know For A Stress-Free Holiday Trip
    October 06, 2018
    Filipiniana Books and Where to Find Them: Introducing the Philippines to Expats
    October 02, 2018