Airbnb Experiences Connects Communities Through Online Activities
With the emergence of a global pandemic, travel plans had to be postponed or canceled entirely. The home-sharing platform, Airbnb, relaunched their Online Experiences for people at home to find activities to do or learn remotely.
Launched in 2016, Airbnb Experiences was a way for local individuals and your companies to invite travelers with tours, events, and activities. To protect the health and safety of the community, in-person Airbnb Experiences are paused through April 30, 2020.
For now, Airbnb hopes that its platform continues to connect, travel virtually, and earn income during the quarantine with Online Experiences.
Online Experiences is powered by Zoom, an online video conference service, and is free for Airbnb Hosts to share their classes, activities, and more! Users then can book Hosts from other parts of the world to learn from their Experiences.
One example is booking the Online Experience Cello Meditation Concert from The Wong Janice from Amsterdam, Netherlands for Php 285/person. In the new platform, viewers can actively build rapport with the Host using the chat function on Zoom.
Cello Meditation Concert by The Wong Janice/IMAGE grabbed from airbnb.com
For older adults, Airbnb partnered with organizations around the world to curate Experiences for their communities to learn new skills free of charge. The list includes the following:
- SAGE, the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of LGBT older people
- National Council on Aging (NCOA), a respected national leader and trusted partner in the US helping people aged 60+ meet the challenges of aging
- Associazione Nazionale Alpini – Sezione di Milan, veterans of the most respected and trustworthy military corp in Italy
- Amigos de los Mayores, an organization combating unwanted loneliness and social isolation amongst the elderly in Spain
Users can start booking Online Experiences now from their website to start meeting Airbnb Experiences Hosts, learn about their culture, have a tarot reading session, listen to private concerts, take a masterclass, or take a virtual visit!
What online experiences have you tried doing during the COVID-19 quarantine? Tell us in the comments below!
- Ways to Be Safe From COVID-19 Pandemic
- What to Know About the Enhanced Comprehensive Quarantine in Luzon
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline 02-8651-7800 loc. 1149 / 1150