September 05, 2016

Five countries issue travel advisories after Davao bombing incident

  • HOME
  • Blog
  • Five countries issue travel advisories after Davao bombing incident
  • After the bombing in Davao just last week which resulted to the death of 14 people and more than 60 casualties, five countries have issued travel warnings to their citizens in the Philippines.

     

    wer1

     

    The five countries, namely Australia, United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Singapore, released travel warnings informing their citizens about the “state of lawlessness” declared by President Rodrigo Duterte after the explosion in his home city.

    Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a “high degree of caution” travel warning on the Philippines

    “We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in the Philippines due to the high threat of a terrorist attack and the high level of crime. You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times. Monitor the media and other sources about possible new security risks. Seek specific advice for the locations you intend to visit,” Australia’s DFAT advised.

    The United States Embassy said in its advisory that it was temporarily suspended all official travel to Mindanao.

    “The Embassy encourages all US citizens to remain vigilant and employ sound personal security measures as you go about your day. The Embassy will continue to monitor the current state of affairs in the Philippines and will release additional messages as needed,” it said in its travel advisory.

    The British Embassy, on the other hand, advised against “all but essential” travel to Eastern Mindanao where Davao City is. British citizens are also advised to refrain from travelling to the rest of the island.

    “There is a high threat from terrorism, including kidnapping. There has been an increase in kidnapping of foreign nationals since late 2015. It’s likely that terrorist groups continue to plan kidnap operations against western nationals in the region. You should remain vigilant at all times,” said the British Embassy.

    The Singapore Embassy in Manila also advised its citizens to “exercise vigilance” as it condemned the bomb attack.

    “Singaporeans in the Philippines are advised to exercise vigilance, and monitor the local news and instructions of the local authorities,” it said.

    “Singapore condemns the bomb explosion in Davao City, the Philippines, on 2 September 2016, which killed and injured many innocent people. We extend our deepest condolences to the bereaved families and wish the injured a speedy recovery,” the Singapore embassy added.

    Meanwhile, Canada has also warned its citizens against travelling to Mindanao and Sulu.

     

    “There is no nationwide advisory in effect for the Philippines. However, you should exercise a high degree of caution due to an ongoing terrorist threat to Westerners and Western interests,” said the Canadian government.

    Source: gmanetwork.com, mb.com.ph, rappler.com

               
               
    You might also like...
    LIST: 8 Must-Visit Intramuros Spots for a Journey Through Manila’s Past
    August 19, 2025
    Art School Drop-In: Recreate Famous Paintings in Unexpected Settings
    August 13, 2025
    Enhance Space Exploration Videos Using AI Video Upscaler in CapCut Desktop Video Editor
    August 12, 2025
    From Idea to Impact: How AI Can Turn Your Raw Footage into a Masterpiece
    August 11, 2025
    WOFEX Manila 2025 in Pasay: A Premier Food Expo Serving Bolder Flavors and Sweeter Discoveries
    August 07, 2025