ANA Presents Yose Rakugo 2019 This January 26
Watch the traditional Japanese entertainment as All Nipon Airways (ANA), in cooperation with the Japan Foundation, Manila, brings back ANA Yose Rakugo in English at Carlos P. Romulo Theater in Makati this January 26, 3 p.m.
Rakugo is a comic storytelling art in Japan that entertains people for over 400 years and is still enjoys wide popularity to this day.
This Japanese sit-down comedy is narrated by a Rakugo master himself, who throws humor while playing out different characters such as Samurai, Geisha, Merchant, Burglar, Child or Drunkard. The narrator is normally wearing a kimono and sitting on a small cushion using only a Japanese fan (sensu) and a hand towel (tenugui) as props.
It is said that 800 professional Rakugo performers exist in Japan, and ANA has invited five of them to deliver this classic entertainment to the crowd here in Manila. For this year, featured performers are:
- Katsure Kaishi has performed in 20 countries around the world. His English Rakugo stories are so popular and have already featured in English textbooks for junior high school students in Japan.
- Katsura Fukuryu was born in Winnipeg, Canada. He was inspired by Rakugo and started English Rakugo in 2016. He has performed throughout Japan and in Las Vegas, San Francisco, and Honolulu.
- Akatsuki Anko performed in the well-known performance group “Kinoshita Circus” for 14 years. Her most famous act showcases her foot juggling.
- Hayashiya Emimaru is famous for performing with Yose props. He often tells his humorous stories with a traditional mask and Yose fans.
- Katsura Asakichi started as an apprentice to Rakugo master Kiccho KATSURA in 1993. Now, he performs classic Rakugo stories as well as his own original English Rakugo stories.
Tickets are free but will be awarded on a lottery basis. Each winner (provided with maximum of 2 tickets only) will then be notified through e-mail on or before January 18.
The show is recommended for ages 13 and up; children under 7 are not permitted in the theater. Winners are requested to enter the theater at least 15 minutes before the show starts.
The application was opened last December 1, 2018 until January 11, 2019 only. Register here now!
Regional live performances of Rakugo in English will also be held in Marco Polo Ballroom, Davao City on January 23, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. and Mindanao Kokusai Daigaku on January 24, 2019 at 3:00 p.m..
What: ANA Yose Rakugo in English 2019
Where: Carlos P. Romulo Theater, 4F, Tower II, RCBC Plaza, Ayala Ave. corner Sen. G Puyat Ave., Makati City
When: January 26, 2019, 3 p.m.
Tickets: FREE via raffle
This is a press release. Minor edits were made prior to publishing.
Images courtesy of ana-campaign.com.