Baguio Tanabata Festival 2018: Celebrating Japanese Culture and Arts
Welcome and celebrate July with the Philippines-Japan Friendship ceremony and cultural show at the Baguio Tanabata Festival from July 7 to September 16, 2018!
Organized by the Japanese Association in Northern Luzon (JANL) and Filipino-Japanese Foundation of Northern Luzon (Abong), this year’s Baguio Tanabata Festival will be offering tourism poster exhibitions, Japanese film screenings, workshops, plus Japanese instrument and performances. Enjoy all of these as admission is absolutely FREE!
Here is the Baguio Tanabata Festival 2018 program lineup:
July 7, 2018 (Saturday)
- 9 a.m.: Sendai Style Tanabata Fukinagashi Streamer Making (workshop at Abong Hall)
July 22, 2018 (Sunday)
- 9 a.m.: Philippines-Japan Friendship Day Ceremony at Japanese Garden along Gov. Pack Rd.
- 1 p.m.: Friendship Day Cultural Show at Ballroom/Baguio Country Club
- Performance by Wakakusa-Benikoma-Shachu Shamisen music group from Kumamoto, Japan, and Japanese traditional dance by Sayaw Hapon Sakura from Manila.
July 23 to July 27, 2018 (Monday to Friday)
- Exhibit of Japanese Culture at Wolfson Room/Baguio Country Club
July 28, 2018 (Saturday)
- Exhibit and Workshop of Japanese Culture at Wolfson Room/BCC (Tanabata decoration, Sendai Style 7 ornaments making workshop)
August 5, 2018 (Sunday)
- 2 p.m.: Opening of Baguio Tanabata 9 Exhibit at Baguio Museum
August 5 to August 29, 2018
- Exhibit at Baguio Museum
- JICA “Change Around Us” exhibit
- Kumamoto/Amakusa Tourism Poster exhibit
- Sengoku Tanabataof Amakusa Shiro’s
- Rebellion exhibit
Japanese Film Festival at 5 Major Universities in Baguio:
- Aug 24, 2018: Benguet State University gym
- Aug 30, 2018: Saint Louis University Laboratory High School Navy base (Tentative)
- Aug 31, 2018: Center for Culture and the Arts, Saint Louis University
- Sep 9, 2018: Center for Culture and the Arts, Saint Louis University
- Sept 10, 2018: UP Baguio theater
- Sept 13 to 14, 2018: University of the Cordilleras Auditorium
Make room this July as we celebrate the Philippines-Japan Friendship month with lots of activities and events to celebrate the strong and longstanding friendship between the two countries. For more information, you can visit their website at https://jfmo.org.ph/.