The Virgin Labfest 2020 Streams Online This June
While the COVID-19 threat has seen the cancellation of many concerts, festivals, and theater shows—The Virgin Labfest will be bringing their theatrical productions to the theater-going public in a unique way.
Slated to happen on June 10 to 28, 2020, this year’s Virgin Labfest will be going fully-digital as a way to empower the public through these challenging times and deliver the necessary stories that we all need to witness.
In a video announcement made by JK Anicoche, the festival’s director and curator, it was revealed that this year’s festival is titled “Virgin Labfest 2020: Lab in the Time of COVID” with the theme “Kapit”.
This lockdown edition of the festival will feature nine (9) new works as their main performances. These works are as follows:
- “Blackpink” by Tyron Casumpang with the direction of Jethro Tenorio
- “Doggy” by Dustin Celestino with the direction of Roobak Valle
- “Titser Kit” by Jobert Grey Landeza with the direction of Adrienne Vergara
- “Mayang Bubot sa Tag-Araw” by Mark Norman Boquiren with the direction of Mark Mirando
- “Multiverse” by Juliene Mendoza with the direction of Fitz Edward Bitana
- “Gin Bilog” by Luis Nario with the direction of James Harvey Estrada
- “Dapithapon” by Jay Crisostomo with the direction of Sig Pecho
- “Pilot Episode” by Floyd Tiogangco with the direction of Giancarlo Abrahan
- “Papaano Turuan ang Babae Humawak ng Baril” by Daryl Pasion with the direction of Erika Estacio
“Fangirl” by Herlyn Alegres with the direction of Charles Yee from VLF 2019
Additionally, this year’s Labfest will also feature six (6) new works that will be broadcasted as stage readings. The new shows are as follows:
- “Jenny Li” by Buch Dacanay with the direction of Nour Hooshmand
- “Dominador Gonzales – National Artist” by Dingdong Novenario with the direction of Bunny Cadag
- “Mongoiloda’s Casa de Pun” by Claro de los Reyes with the direction of Guelan Varela-Luarca
- “Bagahe” by Nicko de Guzman with the direction of Joel Saracho
- “Lady Masters” by Rouchelle Dinglasan with the direction of Joy Cerro
- “Matira Matibay” by Bernice Dacara with the direction of Alon Segarra
If you haven’t seen previous Labfest productions, fret not because this year’s festival will be revisiting three (3) of their previous works for virtual staging, namely:
- “Anak Ka Ng” by UZ Eliserio with the direction of Maynard Manansala
- “Wanted: Male Boarders” by Rick Patriarca with the direction of George de Jesus
- “Fangirl” by Herlyn Alegres with the direction of Charles Yee
Anak Ka Ng by UZ Eliserio with the direction of Maynard Manansala from VLF 2019
Other activities to watch out for at VLF 2020 include four (4) roundtable discussions for directors, stage managers, production managers, and designers. There will also be a Playwrights Fair and a writing fellowship program—all of which will be conducted online.
For more information, you may visit The Virgin Labfest’s official Facebook page.
What: Virgin Labfest 2020: Lab in the Time of COVID
When: June 10 to 28, 2020
Where to screen: TBA
Images grabbed from The Virgin Labfest’s official Facebook page.