EASY RECIPE: Longganisa-stuffed Cabbage with Tomato Sauce
If there’s one thing you can find in most Filipino households every morning, it’s longganisa. Aside from being one of the cheapest and easiest breakfast items to cook, it’s also one of the most flavorful. No wonder why it goes really, really well with fried rice, tuyo (salted dried fish), and brewed coffee.
However, if you ever get tired of the typical longsilog, we recommend that you try this unique dish that highlights the savory taste of longganisa and the versatility of cabbage. Bon Appétit!
IMAGE from Philippine Primer
Longganisa-stuffed Cabbage with Tomato sauce
(Good for 2)
3 pcs longganisa
3 pcs cabbage leaves, destemmed
100 ml tomato sauce
150 ml chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1. Put the cabbage leaves in plastic wrap and heat them in a microwave for approximately one minute.
2. Remove the skin off of the longanisa and wrap them in the cabbage leaves.
3. Simmer the tomato sauce and chicken in a pan. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
4. While the chicken soup simmers, stew the longganisa-stuffed cabbage leaves until they soften.
5. Add the sauce to the longganisa before serving.
Note: When wrapping longganisa in cabbage leaves, fasten them with toothpick. Doing so will keep the ingredients together. If you want to add some color to the dish, you may add carrots and asparagus in the sauce.